So many products for sale to help us clean and sanitize. Never before in human history have we had so many potions, lotions, and gadgets readily available to keep our environment sterile. In most public places, for example grocery stores, schools, or hospitals, “sanitation stations” fully equipped with hand sanitizers and wipes all in an effort to minimize the spread of germs and consequently diseases are clearly marked and well used. As modern medicine evolves, so has our understanding that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
The floral industry too has evolved with time, and we have learned many things the hard way. We now have a much better understanding of how proper sanitation plays one of the most important role in increasing vase life or how the lack thereof can greatly impact it. Increased vase life has many benefits, none of the least being to save money. Ensuring your customer has an amazing experience is priceless. Happy customers are repeat customers, and that is worth a little extra elbow grease!
Floralife® has a range of products available that are appropriate for use from farm to consumer (www.floralife.com). Following these easy steps, you will provide clean conditions and long-lasting flowers:
- Sweep cooler and work area floors daily to rid them of leaves, petals or stems that may carry disease spores.
- Clean and sanitize cooler, work area, floors, walls, and shelves monthly.
- Clean and sanitize sinks, design tables, knives, and clippers daily.
- Clean and sanitize buckets with clean water and professional cleaner such as D.C.D.® cleaner.
- Use only clean and cool water for flower hydration, holding solutions and vase solutions.
- Use ONLY commercial hydration and flower food solutions as these include the proper ingredients.
- Mix fresh solutions. Start with clean, freshly-made hydration and holding solutions at grower, wholesale and distribution centers and properly-mixed commercial flower foods at retail stores.
- Be sure you and your team are sanitation fanatics! For best results, there is no substitute for due diligence!
To learn more about care and handling from the flower care experts visit us at www.floralife.com
Floralife®, a Smithers-Oasis brand, is a worldwide leader in post harvest flower care and handling. Floralife® has been for 80 years and counting, the flower care experts. Inventors of the first flower food in 1938, since then we’ve continued to partner with our clients to address specific quality concerns and create a line of floral care products suitable to feed, hydrate, nourish and protect at every level in the distribution chain. As a globally positioned company, we are proud to offer our expertise, consultation and education to anyone in the floral industry seeking knowledge and the tools necessary to provide only the freshest, long-lasting flowers to their customers.